Saturday, March 10, 2007

Best Kids Browsers

My four year old daughter, Teagan has been using the computer since before she could even talk or walk. We started her out with Jumpstart Advanced Preschool, but soon my baby overachiever was hungry for something bigger...the internet.

Teagan taught herself how to use the internet at an astonishing rate. She began around two years old, never (purposely) venturing from websites that I pulled up for her. Within days she had smooth control of the mouse. Soon after, she knew how to navigate to other websites using favorites I had created for her directly on the browser toolbar. And now, at four years old she is able to type in URLs, troubleshoot simple computer problems, switch Windows accounts, install software, and many other things I don't commonly see other kids her age doing.

Weeks ago, I had a "duh" moment...I realized I had never thought of looking into child friendly browsers. My daughter is now at an age where I'm becoming concerned about content she might accidentally stumble upon if she strays away from an appropriate website.

Upon test driving all of the better looking browsers I could get my hands on, I've found that they not only make browsing the internet safer for our children, but more straightforward, which is great for short attention spans...especially if your child is new to the web.

And so, without further ado I bring you my recommendations:


MindStein Travels
  • Best Features: The only browser I've found that grows with your children. There are preprogrammed websites for young children, and internet filtering for teenagers. Filtered e-mail only allows messages to be sent to or received from parent approved friends and family (and animated character reads the e-mail aloud to them!). Personal information filters disallow phone numbers, addresses, etc to be sent over the internet.
  • Age Recommendations: 3-10 for preprogrammed sites, 11-18 for filtered browsing
  • Price: Free, or register for all features by monthly, annual, or lifetime membership.

Kid Surf
  • Best Features: Parents can add appropriate websites in addition to preloaded sites (can also disable preloaded sites), customizable start screen and websites for up to 4 children.
  • Age Recommendation: 3-12 year olds
  • Price: Free to try, I'm unclear about the price to register
My Kids Browser
  • Best Features: Ability to disable the print function, timer shuts down browser after allotted time limit, disable other browsers.
  • Age Recommendation: Toddler-Tween
  • Price: Free to try, $24.95 to download
KidRocket
  • Best Features: No install (java script based, it launches from an icon on your desktop), disable printing, simple interface, integrated educational games.
  • Age Recommendation: Toddler-Tween
  • Price: Free
BuddyBrowser
  • Best Features: Safe search, safe instant messaging, tabbed navigation, live math help (K-6th grade), learning channels
  • Age Recommendation: Toddler-Tween
  • Price: Free, but some features will not work without a paid upgrade
MyWeb
  • Best Features: A "true" browser (navigation bar, search, favorites), integrated filtered e-mail, online family friendly streaming radio, awesome animations
  • Age Recommendation: Tween-Teen
  • Price: Free trial, $29.95 to buy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home